I was born and reared in Brooklyn, NY to a Haitian mother and Nigerian father. The highest level of education completed by my mother is high school. As a young boy I wanted to pursue the career of a lawyer. My mother encouraged me to pursue higher education and introduced me to the Hooked on Phonics reading set. At an early age, reading became my passion. English and history allowed me to read and learn about the struggles of African Americans, Native Americans, and others of color in the history of the United States. The African Americans who fought for people of my color's freedom inspired me to also want to defend my community's rights.

My mother would not allow me to become another negative statistic as a young black man. She pushed me to get good grades in school. and was cautious of the friends I chose at school. With my mother's guidance I made it my goal to only focus on school and not be influenced by my outside environment.

Unwilling to become another stereotype from East New York, I decided to attend John Jay College of Criminal Justice on route to becoming a lawyer that makes a difference in our criminal justice system. As an undergraduate I am majoring in Political Science and double minoring in English and Latin American and Latina/o Studies. At John Jay College I have build relationships with great people that I continue to rely on. As President of the Haitian American Student Association I have learned how to become a good leader. John Jay College has also gave me the opportunity to become a Ronald H. Brown scholar where I have gained experience as an intern at the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office.

My ultimate goal of becoming a lawyer is to guide my family out of poverty and be successful. However, I have a responsibility to give back to the African American community and become a voice to the voiceless. With the understanding that the practice of law does not reflect appropriately people of my skin color, I plan on being the embodiment of the slogan "black lawyers matter."