Magdalena Oropeza

My name is Magdalena Oropeza and growing up, I lived a modest life in a one bedroom apartment in Queens. My mother, who is my constant motivator, did not have much of an education, in Mexico. As a result she would constantly support me on my pursuit for an education. I am a first generation undergraduate student at CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice. Currently, I am double majoring in Criminology and Latin American and Latina/o Studies. I chose John Jay College as the place I would spend four years of my life in, because they "foster an inclusive and diverse community." As a first generation Latina college student an inclusive and diverse environment is exactly what I need.

I was first introduced to ePortfolios during my freshman year of college, and it was a life changing experience. I now use ePortfolios as a way to highlight my personal writings, in "Growing up a Mexican New Yorker", as well as an extensive online resume, in "Magdalena Oropeza's Professional ePortfolio" Both have provided me a way to display my creativity, but in a professional way. As an eTern, I hope to help other students showcase their professional creativity as well. Both of these ePortfolios will also help me achieve my goals after John Jay College: going to law school. My ePortfolios provide a positive digital identity to put out into the world, and thus putting my best foot forward when applying to law schools. They provide something extra that students in other colleges around the country may not have had the chance to fully develop. I hope that as an eTern I can help you fully develop your digital identity to help you reach the S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound) goals you have.