As of Spring 2017, I have decided to minor in Latin American and Latino/a Studies (LLS). This has been something that I've been thinking about doing for a while, but never made that final leap to doing so.

Working in Adelante/CREAR Futuros, with SASP (see my journey of working as a Peer Success Coach here), I've worked with the undocumented and DACA-mented students of John Jay. This has lead to see a side of my Latin culture that I wasn't exposed to. Although the majority of my family are undocumented, I've never taken the time to hear about their struggle to come here after giving up everything they knew. After hearing the stories, the sacrifice, and their goals it opened my heart and mind to another part of my culture that I wanted to learn more about.

Being Colombiana and Boriqua (Puerto Rican) means have a complicated background and being associated with Pablo Escobar (enter extreme eye roll here), being moody, privilaged, and worst of all, not Latinx. The last part was the hardest one for me to come to terms with. For a long time, I never used to claim being Puerto Rican because that meant associating myself with a side of me that I never put much thought into.

While talking to other students, hearing how proud they are about their background and listening to the lectures about my Latinx culture made me realize that I want to know more, understand more and now is my chance to do so.

Getting to know more about my Colombian and Puerto Rican roots, I hope, will make me think about who I am and what reconnecting to my culture means to me.

The classes that I intend to take with this minor is:

• LLS 124: Latina/os in the United States
  • LLS 242: U.S. Foreign Policy in Latin America
  • LLS 220: Human Rights and Law in Latin America
  • LLS 356: Terror and Transitional Justice in Latin America 
  • LLS 363: Illegal Subjects: U.S. Latina/o Literature and the Law