1st Draft:

Process:

This last sign off was one of the hardest of them all. I was sitting on my bed for almost the entire week before we had to post because I didn't know what to write about. To me it was so ironic because I've helped countless number of people write their personal statements for different programs, but there I was on my bed thinking about the things I can write about, but I just don't know how to.

Professor Whitestone doesn't believe in "writer's block," she believes that it's just your fear to write about that one thing that you don't what to write about. I have a lot of skeletons in my closet, but I had to take a chance and write about something that I know is going to open up some unhealed wounds. 

I picked up my phone and started to write different words that I associated when I heard the word sister. It started out, "love, best friend, hate, fighting, unconditional, bond," these are words that I feel are universal to many people who have siblings, but then my mind started to go personal and those wounds ended up opening up- wide. "Hate, fear, unapologetic, I'm sorry, death, one last time, goodbye." At this point, I was writing without seeing. The tears were just coming out of my eyes uncontrollably, but I didn't let it stop me. I kept writing, every word that came out of me was a new stab wound to my heart. I didn't know why I was writing this, I didn't know who this was for until I was done with my story--I realized it was for her. My beautiful sister. I wrote our story to bring it to the world. I wrote the memories that were going to last a lifetime. 

Comments:

1.  Sharinna Salazar (Student):

Wow, im reading this on the bus and I'm filled with emotions. I have two sisters ( one younger and one older than me) who I barely see. I always been the type of person to never say I love you to anyone because I feel awkward but I know I should because you never know when someone or yourself will leave this world. I think your piece is beautiful. 

2. Vildane Alvodic (Student):

You have chosen such an emotional topic to write about, and you wrote it so beautifully. Your sister is mostdefinetly looking down on you and smiling because your personal essay shows how loving and talented you are. I am glad that writing was able to help you during this tough time. This piece is something you should be proud of!

3. Sunayana Limbu (TA):

Hi Stephanie, 

I apologize for not getting back to you for feedbacks earlier because I only saw your post today. Wow, you have me crying because this story is just so beautiful. And what an amazing writer are you! You have improved so much and I am so happy for you! I remember when my grandmother whispered to me long time ago saying, "I'll see you later" because she didn't believe in good-byes. Little did I know that it was the last day that we'd be together.. However, when she said those words, I believe that I will meet her someday--perhaps when my own soul drifts towards the heavens. Anyways, GREAT JOB! Congratulations on your sign off! 

4. Sara Whitestone (Professor):

There is so much good here. I think you could sign this off right now without even looking at it again. It could have many uses for the future. As a personal statement, yes, you could weave this into more of a "what motivates you" type of essay. Let's just see where you want to be next and then how we will play with this to get you there. But for now. You are here, successfully signing this off, once you fill out the sign off sheet.