UPDATE JANUARY 2017:

I've been accepted to Northwestern University's Ph.D Program for the Political Science Department! Cohort 2017 with Full Funding and Medical Insurance. 

The following is what I wrote in the fall of 2016:

Below is a part of my personal statement I submitted for the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC)'s Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP). This program grants me the opportunity to apply to 3 institutions and present my research proposal/interests. If the department from one of the institutions (in my case, the Political Science department) are interested in me and my work, then I will join them for the summer of 2016. This is an 8 week long program with room, board and travel expenses paid in addition to a $4,500 stipend.

I'm happy to be joining Northwestern University this summer with mentor Dr. Alvin Tillery.

"Attending a large, progressive and advanced institution like Michigan State University exposed me to a reality vastly different from my small, tight-knit Long Island community. The re-election of Barack Obama in my freshman year unveiled the racism of many Michigan State University students as they spewed racial slurs and drawings throughout campus halls and dorms. Thinking about this narrow-mindedness for an African-American male president put fear in my heart for the future of African-American women in elite government roles. I became largely interested in race relations, women and politics and political participation.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, as reported by the U.S Census Bureau, African American women have been among the most interested in college education across both gender, and race (Reporters 1). There are currently more African American Women enrolled in college than any other group in the United States; and yet, remain underrepresented in the field of politics and government (Guerra 1). My current post doctorate research intentions are to conduct a study that will identify the underlying variables that result in the under-representation of African American Women in elite government roles. With my future findings, my dream is to create a curriculum and/or program that promotes and supports the participation of diverse women in government.

I have envisioned my summer project working alongside a faculty member who studies race relations and/or women and politics. I believe that the SROP accompanied by their prestigious University roster can genuinely catapult my future research endeavors."