THEME II.  

Black Feminist Rhetorics of Work, Literacy, and Life

Table of eContents

In this area of my work, I examine discourses of Black women as histories and epistemologies that can (re)shape research, schools, and methodologies.  This theme is closely connected to the work that I do in discourse and composition-rhetoric studies but it is distinct in that it is explicitly connected to contemporary Black feminist purposes, methods, and processes. This is the theme where I am expending most of my energy with a new book manuscript, Young Black Women Right-ing/Writing the World: Sites of Black Feminist Memory and Futures.  In this monograph, I am looking at how college undergraduate women of African descent construct themselves as mothers, daughters, social activists, and literate beings in the struggle for their own right to flow past barriers and reconstitute themselves in higher education. My most recent article looks at women hip hop deejays and the ways that gender, sexuality, and narrative identities shape their technological experiences and artistry in the industry. Across the broader stretch of this theme, I have published journal articles in Teaching Education, Enculturation, Feminist Teacher, and Harvard Educational Review, and have forthcoming chapters in edited collections. I also crafted four local grants related to this theme in order to make progress on this set of manuscripts.

Black Feminist Thought shapes both how and why I teach undergraduate and graduate courses and especially those related gender studies departments with an unyielding focus on intersectionality.  I explore this approach with undergraduate students in an archive project called Gender-Sphere: The Gender Studies Archive and in a digital essay that I have presented around the country called “From “ ‘Rebel Femmes’ to ‘Feminist Thirst’: Lessons from Students’ ePortfolio Design in Gender/Sexuality Studies Courses.”   Courses and workshops that I have offered related to this theme of my research include: #BlackGirlMagic: @The Intersections of Literacies, Pedagogies, and Black Feminisms (Graduate Course); Intersectionality and Activist Research in the Movement for Black Lives (Graduate Course); Senior Writing Seminar in Gender Studies (Undergraduate Course); "Came Thru Drippin": Intersectional Justice in the 21st Century (Gender and Justice Undergraduate Course); "Until I Am Free, You Are Not Free Either": Introduction to Gender Studies (Undergraduate Course); "Unbossed and Unbought": Black Women's Rhetorics (Undergraduate Course); and Rhetorics of Intersectional Feminisms (Undergraduate Course, currently in development).  

JOURNAL ARTICLES

This Bridge: The BlackFeministCompositionist’s Guide to the Colonial and Imperial Violence of Schooling Today.” Feminist Teacher 26.2-3 (2018): 126-141. (Click here)

Craig, Todd and Carmen Kynard. “Sista Girl Rock: Women of Color and Hip Hop Deejaying as Raced/Gendered Knowledge and Language.” Changing English: Studies in Culture and Education 24.2 (2017): 143-158. (Click here)

“ ‘This the ConscienceRebel’: Class Solidarity, Congregational Capital, and Discourse as Activism in the Writing of Black Female College Students.” Teaching Education 22.3 (September 2011): 217-238.

(Click here)

Reynolds, Ericka (first-year undergraduate student) and Carmen Kynard.   “ ‘We Write a Timeless Message Across the Sky’: Tracing Congregational Cultural Capital From Stolen Word to Spoken Word.” Enculturation (Spring 2011). http://www.enculturation.net/

we-write-a-timeless-message.

(click here)

“From Candy Girls to Cyber Sista-Cipher:  Narrating Black Females’ Color-Consciousness and Counterstories In and Out of School.”  Harvard Educational Review 80.1 (Spring 2010): 30-52.

***Reprinted in Writing Communities: A Text with Readings.  Ed. Stephen Parks (Macmillan), 2017. (Click here)

BOOK CHAPTERS

“‘Pretty for a Black Girl’: AfroDigital Black Feminisms and the Critical Context of ‘Mobile Black Sociality.’ ” Ed. Bruce Horner, forthcoming. (Click here)

DIGITAL PROJECTS

From “Rebel Femmes” to “Feminist Thirst”: Lessons from Students’ ePortfolio Design in Gender/Sexuality Studies Courses” (Digital Research Essay and Presentation with Crystal Jackson) (Click here)

Gender-Sphere: The Gender Studies Archive (Undergraduate Digital Project) (Click here)

PEDAGOGY

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: #BlackGirlMagic: @The Intersections of Literacies, Pedagogies, and Black Feminisms (Graduate Course) (Click here)

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: Intersectionality and Activist Research in the Movement for Black Lives (Graduate Course) (Click here)

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: Senior Writing Seminar in Gender Studies (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: "Came Thru Drippin": Intersectional Justice in the 21st Century (Gender and Justice Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: "Until I Am Free, You Are Not Free Either": Introduction to Gender Studies (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: "Unbossed and Unbought": Black Women's Rhetorics (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

with Teaching Reflection #1 and Teaching Reflection #2  

CURRENT COURSE IN DEVELOPMENT: Rhetorics of Intersectional Feminisms (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)