Theme IV: 

Historiography, Africana Studies & Literacies Research

Table of eContents

In this theme of my work, I situate African American cultural spheres and aesthetic movements as histories of literate traditions. My first book, Vernacular Insurrections: Race, Black Protest, and the New Century in Composition-Literacy Studies, argues that the Black Freedom Struggles of the 1960s and 1970s set particular discursive and political imaginations in motion for composition studies when the dynamics of Black radicalism achieved a “re-vocabularization” of literacy and academic discourse.

I want to continue to tell critical stories here in this theme about the multiple locations where literacy, race, gender, sexuality, and radical African American rhetorical agents have intersected.  Related to this theme, I have published journal articles in College Composition and Communication, College English, and Changing English: Studies in Culture and Education. The most relevant courses that I have taught related to this theme are: African American Literacies and Education--- the 20th and 21st Centuries (Graduate Course); Advanced Topics in Literacies Studies: African American Literacies (undergraduate). Today, my work related to this theme is most notably captured in the work that I did to bring the seventh annual Hiphop Literacies Conference to my current college (see hiphopliteracies.com) and a forthcoming project I am planning for undergraduate and graduate students to create and curate digital indexes related to Black feminist political cultures.

BOOK

Vernacular Insurrections: Race, Black Protest, and the New Century in Composition-Literacies Studies. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, April 2013. (2015 James Britton Book Award) (Click here)

ARTICLES

“Stayin Woke: Race-Radical Literacies in the Makings of a Higher Education.” College Composition and Communication 69.3 (2018): 519-529. (Click here)

“ ‘I Want To Be African’: In Search of a Black Radical Tradition/African-American-Vernacularized Paradigm for ‘Students’ Rights to Their Own Language,’ Critical Literacy, and ‘Class Politics.’ ” College English 69.4 (March 2007): 356-386. 

***Reprinted in Students’ Right to Their Own Language: A Critical Sourcebook.  Eds. Staci Perryman-Clark, David Kirkland, and Alan Jackson (NCTE), 2014. (Click here)

“ ‘Looking for the Perfect Beat’: The Power of Black Student Protest Rhetorics for Academic Literacy and Higher Education.” Changing English: Studies in Culture and Education 12.3 (December 2005): 387-402. (Click here)

BOOK CHAPTERS

“Epidermal Contingencies: Administering While Black at a PWI.” Black Perspectives on Writing Program Administration.  Eds., Collin Craig and Staci Perryman-Clark, forthcoming. (Click here)

REVIEWS

Review of Black Literate Lives: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives by Maisha Fisher and Liberating Language: Sites of Rhetorical Education in Nineteenth-Century Black America by Shirley Wilson Logan.  Changing English: Studies in Culture and Education 17.4 (2010): 433-437. (Click here)

Review of Hiphop Literacies by Elaine Richardson and Roc the Mic Right: The Language of Hip Hop Culture by H. Samy Alim.  Changing English: Studies in Culture and Education 14.3 (December 2007): 383-391. (Click here)

PEDAGOGY & LEADERSHIP

COURSE SYLLABUS AND WEBSITE: African American Literacies and Education--- the 20th and 21st Centuries (Graduate Course) (Click here)

CO-CHAIR FOR NATIONAL CONFERENCE: Hiphop Justice: Hiphop Literacies Conference 2017 (John Jay College) (Click here)