THEME III.

Race and Critical Pedagogies/Critical Literacie 

Table of eContents

In this theme of my research, teaching, and publication, I make an explicit connection to critical pedagogy and theories of race through an intersectional lens. In particular, I am interested in the ways that the histories of African American education in the context of race-gender-sexuality oppression bear implicit connections to theories of critical pedagogies and radical approaches to understanding and teaching literacies. In this theme, I have published articles in College Composition and CommunicationLiteracy in Composition Studies, Changing English, and chapters in edited collections published by Utah State University Press and Routledge.

My most current work in this theme interrogates race, gender, sexuality, culture, and digital media for which I was awarded a local grant through CUNY Central’s work on undergraduate research. I also explore this theme most critically with and at my open access website/blog that I launched in fall of 2012, “Education, Liberation, and Black Radical Traditions” (http://carmenkynard.org), which has now received more than 1.8 million hits.  Alongside the launch of my own website, I have crafted digital syllabi across all of my courses for students but the most relevant courses in this theme are: Digital Rhetorics/ Digital Justice (Undergraduate Course); Writing for Racial Justice in an Unjust World: Critical Race Theory (Undergraduate Course); Rhetoric, Justice & Public Writing in the 21st Century (Undergraduate Course).

My general projects related to undergraduate teaching are all inspired by my lens on race in higher education, even when those projects are not explicitly named as such.  Such projects include: Digital Spectrum: Multimedia Essays and Digital Projects from the First Year (Undergraduate Journal); The Adelante! Edge: How Second-Semester Students at an Urban, Public University Crafted Their Academic and Career Profiles with ePortfolios (Digital Research Essay and Project with Daniel Auld); 2012-2013 WPA Research Project: What Excites Our Students about Writing?;  Back-to-the-Basics: Portfolio Assessment (Workshop); CSS & Portfolio Design (Workshop). All of the projects in this theme of my work converge around my interests in thinking about and providing an alternative center of gravity for a critical university education where the experiences of Brown and Black bodies are centered.

Articles

Kynard, Carmen. “ ‘Save the Hood, Save Myself’: Color Conscious Pedagogies and Rhetorics for/of Urban Teacher Candidates of Color,” under review. (Click here)

Kynard, Carmen. “Seeing What We Can Do: Multiple Narratives on the Promise and Peril of Counter-Standardization for Student Writers of Color.” Changing English: Studies in Culture and Education, accepted. (Click here)

“Teaching While Black: Racial Violence and the Landscapes of Disciplinary Whiteness,” Literacy in Composition Studies 3.1 (March 2015): 1-20.  ISSN 2326-5620. Available at: http://licsjournal.org/OJS/

index.php/LiCS/article/view/62. 

***“Best Article” Award from The Best of Independent Composition and Rhetoric Journals 2015 (Parlor Press) 

(Click here)

Kynard, Carmen and Eddy, Robert.  “Toward a New Critical Framework: Color-Conscious Political Morality and Pedagogy at Historically Black and Historically White Colleges and Universities.” College Composition and Communication 61.1 (September 2009): W24-W44. 

***Reprinted and expanded in A Language and Power Reader: Representations of Race in a Post-Racist Era. Eds. Robert Eddy and Victor Villanueva (Utah State University Press), 2014.

(Click here)

Book Chapters

Kynard, Carmen. “#WeAreAllTrayvonMartin: Making the Political Turn with the Movement for Black Lives.” Writing, Democracy, and Activism: The Political Turn in the Trump Era. Eds Deborah Mutnick, Shannon Carter, Jessica Pauszek, and Stephen Parks, forthcoming. (Click here)

Kynard, Carmen. “ ‘Getting On The Right Side of It’: Problematizing and Rethinking the Research Paper  Genre in the College Composition Course.” Genre Across the Curriculum.  Eds. Anne Herrington and Charles Moran.  Logan, Utah: Utah University Press, 2005. 128-151. (Click here)

Commentaries

Kynard, Carmen. Comment: “Literacy/Literacies Studies and the Still-Dominant White Center.” Journal of Literacy in Composition Studies 1.1 (2013): 63-65. http://licsjournal.org/OJS/index.php/LiCS/article/view/17/19. (Click here)

Kynard, Carmen. Comment: “Racial Intruders and Closed, White Shops: Reading Collin Craig’s and Staci Perryman-Clark’s ‘Troubling the Boundaries’.” CWPA Mentoring Project Blog: http://wpacouncil.org/mentoring-blog. (Click here)

Digital Projects

“Education, Liberation, and Black Radical Traditions” (Personal Blog launched in August 2012) (click here)

Digital Spectrum: Multimedia Essays and Digital Projects from the First Year (Undergraduate Journal) (Click here)

The Adelante! Edge: How Second-Semester Students at an Urban, Public University Crafted Their Academic and Career Profiles with ePortfolios (Digital Research Essay and Project with Daniel Auld) (Click here)

Pedagogy and Leadership

SYLLABUS AND COURSE WEBSITE: Digital Rhetorics/ Digital Justice (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

SYLLABUS AND COURSE WEBSITE: Writing for Racial Justice in an Unjust World: Critical Race Theory (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

SYLLABUS AND COURSE WEBSITE: Rhetoric, Justice & Public Writing in the 21st Century (Undergraduate Course) (Click here)

Overview of the 2012-2013 Research Project: What Excites Our Students about Writing? (WPA Project) (Click here)

Back-to-the-Basics: Portfolio Assessment (Workshop) (Click here)

CSS & Portfolio Design (Workshop) (Click here)

Visual Design for 21st Century Writers (A Lesson Plan) (Click here)