My Works in Progress

Young Black Women Writing/Righting the World: Sites of Black Feminist Memories and Futures

by Carmen Kynard

PROJECT I: This book looks at the ways young women of African descent construct themselves as activist and literate beings in college and reconstitute themselves from distinctive literacies and cultural memories (Dillard, 2000; Richardson, 2003). Through the words/worlds of young Black women themselves, the book shows how they achieve agency and authority through their own particular histories, communities, and language systems (Brown, 2014).  The book has seven chapters, introduction, conclusion, and one-page interludes/interchapters. 

Beyond the Hashtag: 21st Century Black Women’s Rhetorical Practices 

by Tamika Carey (University of Virginia), Carmen Kynard (John Jay College), Gwendolyn Pough (Syracuse University), Elaine Richardson (Ohio State University), LaToya Sawyer (St. John’s University)

PROJECT II: Beyond the Hashtag: 21st Century Black Women’s Rhetorical Practices examines Black women’s language in multimedia contexts in the 21st century. We interrogate contemporary Black feminist theory and examine various Black women’s rhetorical practices toward social change.  The book will have five chapters, multiple 2-page interchapters that highlight specific social media movements designed by Black women, an introduction, a conclusion, a foreward by Jacqueline Jones Royster, and an afterword by Eric Darnell Pritchard.

"‘Save the Hood, Save Myself’: Color Conscious Pedagogies and the Cultural Rhetorics of Urban Teacher Candidates of Color”

by Carmen Kynard

PROJECT III: This article examines how “color conscious” pedagogies intersect with the cultural rhetorics of teacher candidates of color where the most appropriate response of progressive educators to conservative calls for color-blindness is to emphasize an opposing "color-conscious" paradigm.  Based on three years of data from exit questionnaires, final portfolios, and personal narratives, I argue that three central rhetorical platforms can drive the (teacher) education of student populations whose memories and lives are consonant with the experiences of racially subjugated masses.  Reviewers asked for coding charts and diagrams that show the full range of the entire data set, not just the close samples that I described.  There is a good chance the article will need to re-enter publication given the time lapse between my resubmission.

AfroDigital Futures: Race-Radical Literacies, Black Feminisms, and the M4BL or AfroDigital Futures: Race-Radical Literacies, Black Feminist Classrooms, and the M4BL

by Carmen Kynard

PROJECT IV: This project takes up the ways that the Black digital humanities reminds us that some groups have been categorically excluded from the very rubric of humanity and have, in turn, offered alternative constructions and possibilities to its framing. This project aims to mobilize digital tools and platforms within a Black feminist technocultural discourse in order to disrupt (digital) humanities teaching from white systems of power and meaning. I have a rough sketch of ten 20-page chapters and an early draft of a book proposal.  By fall 2020, I would like to have a complete book proposal based on the drafting that I have currently completed.  I already have a sample chapter and will need an introduction and detailed description of each chapter.