Department of Psychology - (Specifically, BA/MA Psych Program Director)

Description and Contact Information

The BA/MA Program provides academically strong students with the opportunity to pursue a Bachelor's and Master's Degree simultaneously in a five year time period. It is available in three concentrations: criminal justice, forensic psychology, and public administration. Eligibility begins when students have already earned 60 credits and a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Students accepted into the program continue to pay undergraduate tuition until they reach 120 credits. After students complete those credits, they are charged graduate tuition rates. I specifically contacted the director for the forensic psychology BA/MA program. She explained that in order to graduate from the program, thus obtaining both degrees, students must complete 134 credits while maintaining a 3.5 or above GPA throughout the duration of the curriculum.

For forensic psychology students, the contact information for this special program is quite simple. Students are to contact Dr. Jennifer Dysart, who is the director. Her faculty email may be used as a means of communication with her, or appointments may be made; her office is located on the 10th floor in the New Building, Room 10.65.09.

Resource in Relation to My Goals

Dr. Dysart was a major resource in my overall academic journey. I've wanted to apply to the BA/MA Program since I was first introduced to the idea of it. My ultimate goal, education-wise, is to pursue a PhD in forensic psychology. BA/MA saves time and money, which is beneficial to me since I am seeking higher education after the Master's Degree. Additionally, this program encompasses a challenging curriculum, and I've always sought out ways to push myself to reach my full potential.

Experience with the Service

My ACE program advisors set up an informational meeting with Dr. Dysart as the guest speaker. She presented a PowerPoint to all attendees that showcased what BA/MA is, the requirements to apply and remain in the program (if accepted), the benefits of the program, and what to expect course-wise. During the point of the presentation in which Dr. Dysart explained the breakdown of the courses within the curriculum, two possible paths were offered. One path of study is clinically-based, which indicates more field-work, or hands-on efforts (typically meaning participating students act as counselors in actual offices, just as an example). The other path of study is more research-based, which doesn't necessarily require participating students to engage in field-work. I found myself debating going down both courses of study, which is possible; doing so, will help me pinpoint exactly what I want to pursue in this field. This informational session was a very valuable tool offered to ACE students contemplating applying to this program. I had a lot of questions going in to the session, and by the end I gained clarification on every point that initially seemed a bit fuzzy.

After emailing Dysart numerous times, I was finally able to set up a meeting time with her. She is extremely busy, so it was difficult trying to get in contact with her, but she did manage to respond a few times. When I met with her, we discussed which courses I should take during the upcoming spring semester. She provided me with insight regarding which classes are critical to have taken before beginning the BA/MA Program; two of those courses are cognitive psychology and research methods - both of which I will be taking during the spring semester. She was very approachable and kind. She is a resourceful individual, which made me feel more at ease because all of my questions were answered. She realized how much I actually do on-campus, so she also expressed concern and kept my best interests at heart - advising me to only take four courses next semester. I really love her, and I look forward to speaking with her again in the near future.

Recommend to a Student?

I would advise students interested in pursuing the BA/MA Program for forensic psychology to contact Dr. Dysart as soon as possible. I have already referred students to her! Her guidance early on will surely make a difference.