Dear Journal,

This past week I hit a milestone in my success coaching career!

During early intervention outreach, I contacted a student who was listed as being at risk level 2 due to an absence or two he had in his FYS course. My initial message was constructed in a friendly manner, encouraging a response that would indicate whether or not the student would require or want any further assistance. He responded back almost immediately, which wasn't really shocking, considering I've been in touch with this student before regarding questions he had pertaining to academic advisement. Though he didn't explicitly tell me how the class was going, I was able to piece together an idea throughout our conversation.

He implied that sometimes he struggles with finding the motivation to start and complete assignments; later on, referring to himself as "lazy." I took this as an opportunity to delve into how his past assignments may have reflected this, and strategies he can use in order to prevent feeling rushed or discouraged. One of my signature coaching tools is to put a time management plan in place for all my students who express their struggle in that particular area. I know most students, when told of certain ways they can approach managing their time better, don't really take action themselves, especially if no one is checking their progress in doing so. Therefore, my approach is to create a system in which I work with the student. I told this student that for the next assignment he has for his FYS course, that of which I support, I would implement my own due dates prior to the actual day the assignment is due. For my due dates, I posed to him the idea of submitting parts of the assignment to me - not necessarily for me to proofread, but so I know he's actually doing the work in steps which may inevitably result in better structured and more detailed responses. Though he didn't initially take the bait, I'm still working on it!

Our conversation continued, but took a more personal route. He revealed to me that he was going through some relationship troubles. I expressed my concern for him, while also lightly encouraging for him to elaborate, if comfortable with doing so. In my attempt to get him to open up, I also revealed that I, too, had gone through, and still am dealing with, problems pertaining to my last relationship. He asked for me to explain further. My walls immediately went up because it is something very personal, and I didn't want to share it with him. However, I realized he'd only know as much as I wanted to tell him, so I explained what I was comfortable with sharing. After I told my story, he felt it was okay to tell me his. And this is where I reached my milestone...

As he was telling me what he was going through, how he's been feeling for a while, and his inability to really cope with certain things right now, I listened to understand... not just to reply. I've realized that when people speak to me about certain things I typically listen to reply, meaning I focus on what I can say after the person speaking is done, so I'm not really grasping what they're trying to tell me. This time I really listened to understand because that's what I would want someone to do for me, and in my case, people did listen to understand. He deserved just that from me. And throughout this reveal, I took what I learned from class...I paraphrased and was able to incorporate reflection of feeling. By doing so, the conversation continued to get deeper, and I really understood how this student was feeling. If I immediately mighty-moused this situation, I probably wouldn't have reached the depth that I did.

In the end, I felt like I knew when to offer my input. Since I spent a good amount of time really getting to know the situation and the student, when I did offer my input, it seemed to solidify the trust that he had in me. He said I helped a lot, and that's all I wanted to do. Mission happily accomplished.

Until next time,

Samantha