Dear Journal,

Up until this point, I'll admit, I haven't been very interactive with those students who didn't reach out to me throughout this semester. However, I approached this realization with an attitude much like that of when I helped my early intervention students. With those students, I worked alongside them to formulate action plans in order to retain good standings in all of their classes, especially the classes that they showed the most concern about. In my case, I decided it would be best to engage with them in class a bit more. So, before the start of class this past week, I walked around in both of my sections - saying good morning to my students, asking how things were going, etc. My attempts to interact more with some of my students were aided in the professor's plan for the classes on Tuesday.

The professor dedicated her class time to allowing the students to work in their showcase groups. It was the final day to finish their posters and submit the final product to her (via email). We both proceeded to walk around the room. We answered questions pertaining to the material allowed to be shown (since their research was based upon sex and virginity). I was summoned a few times for issues related to the template itself - either the boxes were moved, which disarranged the setup, or pictures weren't pasting; some students even wanted my opinion on the text they wrote, title choices, and the overall look and feel of the poster. I was able to speak to students who I really hadn't before, and I discovered some common interests which definitely helped the coach/mentee relationship. I realized more students felt comfortable speaking to me and asking me questions than I had originally thought.

~

On Wednesday, November 16th, I attended the Women In Leadership Post-Conference Luncheon with Vice President Lynette Cook-Francis. She wanted to meet with those who attended the conference back in October; she was interested in hearing our thoughts and reflections of that day. There were a lot of powerful women who spoke at that conference whose words resided with me. Particularly, one quote I heard from that day is something I repeat to myself on a daily basis. "Let your setback be the setup for your comeback."

Our conversation wasn't limited to just the conference. Somehow all attendees began talking about where we grew up, how we like our coffee from Starbucks, and what shows we're currently watching. Questions were directed at me pertaining to the research I'm currently doing with a professor on campus, and I was so excited to talk about it. I'm proud of the work I do and have done, so I was really appreciative in her desire to listen.

~

Within the past week (and few weeks prior), I've done a lot of reflecting, which I can see has helped me become a better student and success coach. I've shared my insights with some of my students, and I've noticed they have expressed more interest and drive in participating in different things - either on and/or off campus. One of my students was accepted into the Women In Tech organization. Despite women not having a large presence in careers related to computer science, she sees the potential in herself and won't let that go. Witnessing a mentee's growth and happiness in what they're doing, makes my job all the more satisfying and worthwhile.

Until next time,

Samantha