Dear Journal,

I have to admit this past week may have been the most insightful thus far...

~

On Thursday, October 27th, SASP presented the "Who Said That?" game show hosted by Daniella and I, along with Megil and Devin later on. This game show incorporated fun into politics. We read candidates' responses to major topics raised in this year's debates to participating students, who then had to guess 'who said that.' A lot of the students enjoyed playing, even coming back for a second or third round! Others came back just to try to beat Megil!

I've always found tabling in the Atrium difficult, and often times, I do not wish to partake in it. It's a contrasting atmosphere compared to that in which students willingly come speak to you, in the office for example. However, I realize it will only help me strengthen my abilities to communicate with others. It's something out of my comfort zone, but I've adopted a quote to live each day by:

"A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there."

Being pushed to leave the safety of the podium stationed by the actual event in order to recruit other potential players was nerve-racking. I needed that push. The trick is to convey the message in a quick, concise, yet exciting and mysterious way. It took a few tries to really get down the script I created in my head, but I was able to recruit a few people. The comfort settled back in, though, when I was working once again with the already engaged and willing participants.

Pictures from the event:

Pictured above: Me, reading a quote to two students

Pictured above: Me!

Woo!

~

On Friday, October 28th, I had the privilege of attending the 12th Annual Women In Leadership Conference at Hunter College. I was surrounded by so many amazing, strong, and powerful women. I made the right decision by attending the conference. The networking that I was a part of allowed me to connect with empowering women who work in prestigious organizations all over the city. (I even gave out my business cards!) Listening to these women speak about their roots and how they grew throughout their lifetime really transported me, emotionally and mentally, to where their minds may have been during times of triumph and during times of doubt. I already know I want to make a difference in this world. Encircling me that day were countless other women who want the same thing. The support and encouragement was felt throughout the entire room.

One woman, Letitia (Tish) James, whose words sparked a fire within me, resembled everything I want in my own character. She spoke about her work as an NYC Public Advocate, specifically mentioning her work dealing with sex-trafficking, which I am currently doing research on with a John Jay professor, so I was especially intrigued. She stated that she was an advocate for those who don't have a voice. On my professional ePortfolio, it is stated that that is my mission as well. The power behind her words were remarkable, and they will forever ring in my ears.

Pictured above: Letitia (Tish) James, NYC Public Advocate

I'm excited for what the future holds. I truly feel inspired to reach for nothing but the stars. There is strength in numbers, and I've had the pleasure of meeting several strong, independent, driven young women, who also happen to be my mentees. They have so much passion for what they want in life. Their aspirations reflect hard-work and leadership. Every time I speak to these young ladies I see the fire in their eyes to do so much, and I'm so happy to be able to know them. We need to unite and change the world. We are capable of accomplishing so much, and I can't wait to share this experience with them because next year I want to hear that they themselves were nominated to attend the conference.

Pictures from the Women In Leadership Conference:

Pictured above: NYS Assembly Members

Pictured above: John Jay College Representatives (me included)

Pictured above: Nicole C. (left), Mandi (middle), and Me (right)

~

Reflecting back on this week, I'd say the absolute best part was sharing in the celebration that my best friend, Kelsey, is cancer-freeI ran to Kelsey after she shared the news with all of us, but as I sat in the seat listening to her...watching the tears fighting to escape her eyes...I cried. Kelsey means so much to me, and in that moment, I felt an incredible sense of relief. 
She always reaches out to make sure everyone else is okay. She is someone I always run to when I need a hug,... a smile, a pep-talk, or in other cases, food. Initially hearing about what she was going through broke my heart, but finally knowing she don't have to fight that battle mended it. She's a fighter. I couldn't have asked for a better friend; sister; role model. I'm a mini Kelsey! (even Professor Dysart put the pieces together, haha!) I love you, Kels

Pictured above: Kelsey (left) and Me (right)

The bonds I've made in SASP are strong... So I leave you with this...

Until next time,

Samantha