BULLYING AWARENESS: A WEBSITE

by Jossieluz Advincula, Sadia Chong, Justine Martine

We all know about bullying, but do we actually know about bullying? Do we actually know the statistics in regards to bullying? Do we actually know what occurs in the life of a victim of bullying everyday? Whether or not we like it, we are completely ignorant in regards to bullying. Sometimes the ignorance is intentional; and sometimes we chose not to educate ourselves, because we may be afraid of what we failed to see before.  

Over the years, bullying has been a major cause of deaths among teenagers. As a team, our plan is to speak for the unspoken voices of the victims. We are strong believers in equality and justice. We believe that no child or teenager or even adult should feel threatened in their everyday surroundings such as school, home or even online! We created this website to fight for those who can’t fight for themselves. Our website was created to voice our opinions in regards to bullying. 

Sadia Chong's webpage on bullying. What makes her webpage different from those of her group members is that she uses another persons story other than her own to highlight the impacts of bullying. She stresses Amanda Todd's story and it truly gets the viewers attention with such a high emotional impact. 

About The Authors

My name is Jossieluz and I am a Freshman at John Jay. I am majoring in Criminology. I am also a first generation College student. I went to John Bowne High School in Flushing, Queens. During High school, I wasn't involved in many things as I would have liked. However, in my Senior year, I was a part of the Drama Club and the CFW program which stands for the Center for Writing program. In my senior year I took a Forensics Science class and that was my main reason for picking John Jay College. I was interested in the science and decided that this was what I wanted to do and learn more about.

Although I have no work experience, I have Volunteering experience. I've volunteered since my Junior year of High school. I've volunteered at different hospitals and organizations such as, The Ronald McDonald House of Charities here in the City and the Long Island Jewish Hospital: Cohen's Children's Hospital.

Hello, My name is Sadia Chong and I am a current Undergraduate student at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. I am currently in my second semester of my freshman year and I must admit it has been great first year. I am currently majoring in Forensic Psychology but I hope to further my education and also study child psychology. As far as I can remember, as a young girl growing up, I always loved to be around kids and babies. I felt the connection and emotions that they may have felt. There’s also a part of me who loves to see people and because of  the way I’ve always been, I love to always lend a helping hand. This has followed me from kindergarten all the way to college. This is why I feel like majoring in Psychology would be the perfect fit for me. Whether it’s a criminal or a little child, at least I’m helping someone to get through the hardships s/he may be facing and hopefully, I’ll be able to help them overcome those trials and finally triumph.  I hope to pursue a career within the CSI field and probably in the hospital where I will be able to work with children. 

Hey! My name's Justine Martinez and I am a Forensic Psychology major at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. As a victim of bullying, I've always been the type to fight against it and work with others to prevent it. I was born and raised in New York City and have never ventured too far away. I always heard stories about bullying occurring in high school, but luckily, my high school years were simple.

My elementary and middle school years were the toughest. After experiencing bullying for myself, and remembering the pain from back then, I realized that bullying is something that's always put on the back burner as a part of growing up: it supposedly allows kids to grow a backbone and survive in the real world. Bullying doesn't always bring out that outcome though. Sometimes it destroys kids that are growing up. "Sticks a Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a quote that I never agreed with. Everyone should be treated equally and no one should be discriminated against for the way they look, the way they dress, who they like-- there is no reason for any type of bullying. Life is hard and it feels like the end of the world as you're getting bullied, but you're not alone! There is always a way to get help.

How to Cite this: 

Advincula, J., Chong S., Martinez J. (Spring 2014). “BULLYING AWARENESS: A website.” Digital Spectrum: First Year Digital Essays, Stories, and Projects, 1,2. Retrieved from https://johnjay.digication.com/digital_spectrum/Bullying_Website