"The civil rights, feminist, and hippie/peace movements have set their place in history by bringing a generation together for a cause. Those at the verge of adulthood were paving the way for the future children of this world. There was a community formed between the young where strangers became brothers and sisters and where there was an unspoken connection for all."

Digital Storytelling: My AudioVisual Act of Sharing a Written Piece of Work

Everything changes and evolves. It's only natural for the progression of print to move towards digital processes.  This change encourages people to now share their stories with sounds and images opening portals to new creators' minds.  Here's my story:

The civil rights, feminist, and hippie/peace movements have set their place in history by bringing a generation together for a cause. Those at the verge of adulthood were paving the way for the future children of this world. There was a community formed between the young where strangers became brothers and sisters and where there was an unspoken connection for all.

Now at age eighteen, looking towards my own future, there is a feeling of disconnect to my generation. We are the digital generation, but is that the only thing that links us? There isn’t that one thing that bonds us to make a change for ourselves and those around us. We live in the present, however, there is still so much more after us. Wouldn’t you like to be known for creating a connected community, or at least trying to? The children after us would be able to see this time as a positive change for the world.

I have this deep urge to create a connection with those in my generation. I want something that causes the strong bonds that have formed with others like in the 50’s 60’s and 70’s.

Going to college gives me the freedom to explore the injustices and justices of my time. It is a push for finding out how to join together and create our own place in history.

Because of a hesitation from my friends and peers, I see myself with a lack of drive for being a part of a community. We have become unable to make the deep connections with others that would motivate individuals to form a movement.

By this age, my parents and grandparents had experienced twice as much as I have. The reason for this is the way eighteen year olds were treated in the 1900s and before is much different from the twenty first century. Being eighteen doesn’t make you an adult by today’s standards. People still see us as kids, like we are something that needs to be helped. If anyone at this age were to attempt to make a movement, the local news would use the story “young individual in the community” instead of a national news story with a “community activist.”

The only way to change this view of the young is by making a stand, joining together and making an impact in society. This will prove our place as adults, prove that we have discipline and strength in ourselves. Why can't we join together to create a change? We are all strangers to each other, unaware of the impact we can make, if we would only act. Until then we will continue to watch the world pass us by and I for one will not allow that.

It is your job as well as mine to search for the rights and wrongs we face.  Find something that inspires you to make a change; then we will be able to accomplish something for more than just our own future.

I am from the soul,

from anger and love.

I am from emotion,

contained and released.

I am from the dragonfly

water and air

(colorful and magical.)

I'm from a long life

lived well and without regret.

I'm from a short life

taken too quickly with remembrance.

I am from sickness.

Never ending each year passing.

I am from hope.

Prayers and celebration.

I'm from the stage,

bright and dramatic.

I'm from the choir,

harmonized and loud.

I'm from my hometown,

my mistakes and lessons.

From the spotlight

and the darkness.

I am from every experience

I've had and have yet to have.

I am everything and nothing,

forever changing

and always the same.