WRITING IS A SWEET DREAM AND A BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE

by Elijah Font

Your teachers often tell you: you have to write like an author.  But how the hell is that possible? 

If you look into my history with writing, it is definitely not the best story. I have hated the writing process and everything that has to deal with writing. For me, it was annoying, boring, and slow which made English the worst subject ever invented by mankind all the way up until high school when my teachers made a change in the system. 

In middle school I had a teacher who once said: “writing is beautiful process that can break you or make you.”  Make or break you?  That’s a really interesting thought, but how can something make or break you?  In writing, I had only been taught three main points: 1) structure, meaning, the organization, grammar; 2)  types of grammar like independent clause and dependent clause, and then finally; 3) the voice of your paper. From that day, I looked at writing in a way that I hadn’t before.

In high school, you were expected to know everything about writing after your “amazing” experiences in middle school. Luckily, in my old high school, we actually had three major requirement classes that dealt with writing and those classes covered everything from grammar to organization skills. One of the most memorable moments was the final essay for one class about my opinions on school requiring mandatory classes. At first no one liked the assignment but my friends and I soon came together and discussed the question. Surprisingly, only one of my friends hated the assignment. We talked about the ways that these three, required classes would better prepare us for college papers and other English assignments. 

At first it was not easy writing the paper. I struggled to sit and write out my thoughts on a computer screen. After a week had gone by, my paper was just filled with my name and my title “The Difference of Class and School.” I just couldn’t move into an idea until I remembered my old middle school teacher's saying: “writing is beautiful process that can break you or make you.” When I heard those words in my head, it clicked and the words just started to flow from my fingers to the keyboard and onto the digital paper. As I wrote, it sounded like a gush of genuine smartness hitting a five year old. When I turned in my paper that day, my teacher read over it, marked a couple of marks, and wrote a huge letter on it. I was nervous about what I would receive. When my paper was returned to me, it was a giant A and the comments consisted of her opinions on what I had written. She said had never received something so interesting.

From that experience, I learned never to doubt my writing and the thoughts that I have developed based on my surroundings and my view of the world. I am carving this moment into a memory of strength and the realization.

In college, I would like my writing to have an impact on the lives that come in contact with my work where my writing will spark a flame that can never be extinguished.  Now how the hell is that possible? I think I know some of the answers to that now.

About the Author

Well where do I being? Okay, okay I know where to begin. My birth…. No… I think that is way too far. Okay, let’s start here. I have a mother, brother, sister, and a grandma that are kept close to me. My goal was always to go to college and get a PhD in forensic science. But to do that would require money. My mother trained me to get good grades so that I could get money to not have to worry about college tuition.  I did exactly what she said. I got the good grades, worked hard, and played hard. But during the whole process no one ever told me and my friends about the massive tons of debt they would be in after they graduated. What is sad is that these people had such potential to help society in such a way that some would call it revolutionary. Today I am passionate about justice, especially the student debt crisis.  You can find me online talking about this issue and many other issues. 

How to Cite This:

Font, E. Writing is a sweet dream and a beautiful nightmare. Digital Spectrum: First Year Digital Essays, Stories & Projects 1, 1. Retrieved from https://johnjay.digication.com/digital_spectrum/WRITING_IS_A_SWEET_DREAM_AND_A_BEAUTIFUL_NIGHTMARE