DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.
Christian Montalvo
I'm a young adult that feels life is more than just money but at the same time money does get you places and perhaps all the things you ever dreamed of.

Most people don't really put the words "sports" and "inequality" in the same sentence because there are other pressing issues. It seems that women only receive 40% of college sports spending operating dollars. It seems that there's always been an inequality between men and women sports.


Sports inequality is the difference between the way men and women are treated when it comes to professional sports and the differential perks that come along with playing a professional sport. Most of these inequalities start with the opportunities in college. 55% of scholarships given out for atheles are men which then leaves only 45% to women in college (Division I and Division II). 


Gender Equality in Professional Sports
World Major Marathon2007 WimbledonWorld Surf League
At the end of this marathon, both the leading man and women receive an equal amount of $500,000 dollars totaling up to a million dollars. This marathon includes: New York marathon, Boston marathon, the London marathon, and the Chicago marathon.In 2007, Wimbledon announced that it would provide equal prizes to both male and female athletes. All Grand Slam events now offer equal prize money to champions. In 2012, thanks to a new owner, a new policy was made such that both male and female surfers that become champions would both have equal prize money.


Gender Inequality in Professional Sports
2014 PGA TourWNBA vs. NBA salaries 2015 Women's World Cup
Total prize money for the 2014 PGA tour, over $340 million, is more than five times that of the new-high for the 2015 LPGA tour, $61.6 million. Similar discrepancies exist throughout professional sports.For a WNBA player in the 2015 season, the minimum salary was $38,913; the maximum salary was $109,500, and the team salary cap in 2012 was $878,000. For NBA players in the 2015-2016 season, the minimum salary is $525,093; the maximum salary is $16.407 million, and the team salary cap is an all-time high of $70 million.For  winning the 2015 Women's World Cup, the U.S. Women’s National Team won $2 million. Germany’s men’s team took home $35 million for winning the 2014 World Cup. The U.S. men’s team finished in 11th place and collected $9 million. Each men’s team that was eliminated in the first round of the 2014 World Cup got $8 million each, which is four times as much as the 2015 women’s championship team.

So the results are in: male and female athletes playing the same exact sports but, in reality, it seems that the world values men sports more than women. Why is that? Is it because that women's sports aren't as watched as mens?  Why is that?  It seems that our world has taken gender inequality to all categories and now female athletes who are very good aren't even getting the salary that they deserve, because they aren't men. 



Pay Inequity in Athletics. (2014). Retrieved December 13, 2015, from http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/home/research/articles-and-reports/equity-issues/pay-inequity


DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.