Lifeguarding: Because I was a swimmer, the logical first job for me was to be a lifeguard.  I have been guarding every summer since I was a freshman in high school.  I have had to be certified in CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding and have had a few saves.  I did not want to be a lifeguard at first because it always seemed like a boring job and not as important as other first responders, but it has proven to be very rewarding.  I have used my skills to save people actively drowning, having a seizure in the water, as well as outside the pool when I witnessed a man run-over by a car.  My very first save was when I was 15 and sitting in the chair watching the diving well.  An 18yo jumped off one of our diving boards, resurffaced just out of arms reach of the wall, and couldn't make it.  I jumped out of the chair, grabbed him, and put him back on the wall.  Many don't realize this, but he was not screaming, not splashing, and right beside the wall, which is how and where most drownings actually happen.

Swim Instructor: I have also been teaching swim lessons since I was 16.  It is surprising how many people do not know how to swim, or swim correctly, and I have taught people from 3 years old to 87.  I teach students how to float, correct swimming technique, the different strokes, as well as how to be safe around water in general.  I have taught competetive swimmers, as well as those who have never been in water or had a near-drowning experience.  I have also been a swim coach to the same summer league I swam for when I was a kid for four years.

Pool Manager: After being just a lifeguard and swim instructor, I was certified as a Pool Operator and became a manager for one of the neighborhood pools the company I work for handles.  I do not have to actually get up in the chair, but I have different responsibilities.  I have to balance the chemicals inside the pools (chlorine, acid, etc.) as too much or too little can harm swimmers.  I also have to manage my lifeguards and make sure they are doing their jobs, and correctly.  I also am the ultimate enforcer, so any problems that patrons or guards have, I have to find a solution.