This project was very different than others I have worked on. It wasn’t as detached as I’m used to being. When I say detached, I mean that I don’t normally have to invest something of myself in a project and then put that part of myself out for the whole world to critique; that part of myself is my speaking. I have done public speaking before, but never on the scale on that Youtube is on. I don’t believe that I’m going to get a million views. But, there’s always a chance of someone watching my digital story, and that unsettles me a bit.

Another aspect of this project that is different than others I have worked on in the past is the almost explicit online aspect. I didn’t have to do however many hours of research and write a paper; I just had to come up with a story and find some audio and visual pieces that would work well with my piece. I had to record my voice, find music and pictures to complete the digital story, and then publish that digital story for the world to see. It wasn’t necessarily brain wracking, but it was in one way or another nerve wracking.

The easiest part of this project for me was the audio and visual aspect. I’ve worked with Adobe Photoshop and Premiere for a few years now, and I have a stockpile of pictures just sitting on a hard drive waiting to be used. All I had to do was comb through my thousands of pictures, whack them on to a simple movie editor, add some transitions and the audio, and I was done. It was like sleeping in your own bed after being on a trip for a few weeks; it felt comforting and like home. This project through me back into my old world of film and photography. It was nostalgic, giving me memories of waking up at 4AM to get to a shoot for a friend and then spend that night editing the pictures and the footage for them.

The one weakness that really stuck out to me was having to record my voice. I’m a behind the scenes sort of person, whether I like it or not. There’s just something about being in the spotlight that unnerves me. And, there’s something about being behind stage, behind camera, or behind a screen that screams refuge and sanctuary.

Having completed multiple digital rhetorics projects up until now, I can saw with relief that this one is over due to the unnerving thought of putting my voice out there. But, I see that it was something of a necessary step. Writing a few essays and doing research is easy, but eventually you have to claim what you’ve done and stick to your guns about whatever you are reporting on. Maybe as time goes on, it’ll be easier to work through projects in which I have to put myself out there.