A Letter To The Web

I started out as a tiny little thing. But, over time I got larger and larger, and, even now, I expect to grow larger than I am now. I've been through a lot, and I've seen a lot of things happen; some things being harmful to others, and some things that express my creator's own past, thoughts, and feelings.

My main interests lie in how "the system" treats people and how people can find alternatives to "the system," so they can get som relief during the rollercoaster ride called their lives. "The system" consists of any institution, whether it be public or private, that has hold over people because it has some sort of power that the people don't. For students, "the system" is the very shcool that they attend becuase they have put a price on knowledge. For all of us, one "system" is the myriad of companies that claim intellectual property as their own and keep it locked away from the public.

I support those who can not attain access to things like peer reviewed articles or a proper education because they don't have the money or "the system" just won't allow them to have it. Colleges need a new way to spread knowledge, instead of just in the classroom and for hundreds of dollars per each class. The solution is to work through open source and free software products. Making a course open to the public will give anyone with an internet connection access to it, like Stamford, MIT, and others have done with some of their courses. Some people follow these courses and take the tests for the class that have been posted online to see if they know the material well enough to have passed the class like this guy. I believe that open source is the future, and when colleges are accepting to be more "open" with their knowledge, the world will be a better place.

Being an ePortfolio that supports the little guy, the under dog, and whoever else is just striving to do more but is restricted by their situation gives me a nice little niche of the internet to be in. You hear stories of people being down and out, and they pick themselves back up. You hear of stories of people being helped and supported in ways they didn't think were possible. You hear stories of people fighting for those who are constrained by "the system" just because. I hope to put the people that fight for the under dog on a pedestal and bring attention to the fact that many of us are under dogs for the sole reason we are not in the 1% of America's elite. I mean to bring attention to all of the issues I discuss, and hopefully add my voice to the fight.

I hope to strive towards more, and I hope that I continue grow. But, who knows what will happen to me. Maybe one day I'll even don a new set of interests or shed some. Only time will tell.

-ePort