Dear Mexico,

When I was younger I loved hearing stories about you, and my mom would always tell them to be right before I went to bed. I would dream of running through the open fields, playing with the white sand, and climbing the tallest pyramids. As I grew older the stories stopped and both my parents would get upset just talking about you. As a child, I did not understand why this was happening, but now that I am older I know. You have suffered for so long at the hands of people who have vowed to protect you and your people. The cries of your people have long been ignored by those in power. Violence has spread like wildfire all over the country and nothing has ever been the same. Many have ended up dead, mass graves have been found all throughout the country, and the state has been implicated too many times to count. 

Your latest cry has been for the safe return of the forty-three missing students of Ayotzinapa. They have since been pronounced dead but do not worry the fight is not over. We the people have not fallen. On the contrary so many people, like myself, have stood up to help. I may not have been born in Mexico, but Mexico is still mi familia. When my school semester began I was asked to focus on a social justice issue that is close to me and that I wanted to learn more about, so that is exactly what I did. I have since put my heart into a website that lets a larger scale of people know what is happening in Mexico, what lead to these events, and how to help put a stop to it. What first began as a school assignment became so much more and I am not even finished yet. I promise you that I will continue to stay involved until you have found justice and the correct people are put into power. I will do anything as small as sharing a post causing people to be more aware or attend rallies to show that there are so many people striving for a change. That is a promise. 

Sincerely, 

Magdalena Oropeza

P.S. For anyone else reading this letter I hope you also stand up against the constant violations of human rights in Mexico. If you are Mexican you see these violations every single day, just know you are not alone. Join the fight to make a difference because if you do not, your children and your children's children will face the same exact problems. Even if you are not from Mexico there is still a way for you to help. Sign petitions and make sure your own government knows to stop sending funds over to Mexico. The hands that money is landing into are dirty. No more money is needed to fund the deaths of many. Thank- you.