Ever since I was a little girl I hated working on group projects. I always played the role of the girl who was expected to do all the work and I would end up doing it. Every time a teacher would tell me that there was a group assignment that was going to be assigned I would absolutely dread the weeks it took to finish it. By the end, all of my teachers would always tell me the same thing, that "we" did not put enough effort into the project. It was always done by one person so of course it would never end up looking like a collaborative effort. The first positive experiences I have had working within a group was in college. It only took fourteen years of education to finally get it right, go figure!

The collaborative essay I took part in this semester was an absolute success! The goal was to combine two different videos and rhetorical analysis into one and that was successfully done. My partner (wearing blue in the picture to the left) and I divided the tasks that needed to be done equally. No one had to do more than other because we each pulled our own weight. It was one of the most relaxing and stress-free group projects I had ever done. We would set up meetings to work together, we would both be on time and the meetings would run so smoothly. We were actually done with the project earlier than expected and did not have to worry about whether it was incomplete or not. We ended up watching funny YouTube videos after we were done with the collaborative essay because we had free time. We complimented each other greatly that for next semester we are going to take three classes together in the hope of working together again. Brenda Almaraz was a great team member.  

The website I took part in creating this semester was also a giant success. The goal was to create a website that focuses on three different digital justice issues and brings it together for one common cause, change. In that project I had taken on the role teaching assistant, my job was to pay close attention to the agenda the project had to follow, remind people when specific due dates occurred, design the "About Us" page and make sure everyone had done their own biography pages. I was able to accomplish all my duties, even though sometimes I would get a little too carried away and would write 3 paragraph long emails of reminders but at least, my team members always knew what was going on. I think that when it came to creating this website all of my team members and I also pulled our own weight and no one had to do more than what they were responsible for. My partners Michelle Sencion (in the middle), Brian Quezada (on the right) and I worked like a well-oiled machine. 

As a collaborator in any kind of project, I would still describe myself as the girl who wants to do and take part in everything, but only because of habit. I have found that in college I can trust people to be responsible for their own work. Although, I am slowly turning into the kind of collaborator that sticks to her duties but is available to help whenever needed. I no longer look at group projects and groan like I used to, now I actually kind of look forward to them. Especially if I am as compatible with my team member as I was with these two previous projects.