Dear mom and dad, 

Do you remember a year ago around this time when I was first accepted to John Jay College? I remember I was so excited because I was going off to a new place and starting a new adventure. I also remember the first time I stepped foot into the building and ended up stealing the security guards pen. That story has officially become my opening story when anyone asks about my experience at John Jay so far. Well, it has been a year of college so far and I honestly can say that this is one of the best experiences I have ever had. You guys have been an amazing support system and I could not have asked for better parents. So as a result of being parents of such a fabulous daughter you guys have to read a whole letter about what I have been up to this past year even though I give you guys the play by play every day when I get home. 

This e-portfolio has been one of my greatest achievements throughout my freshman year because it voices out all the different issues going on around the world. Although I have put a lot of thought into all writing that is on these pages my absolute favorite and best would have to be the writing that went into my Weebly website. When I was creating my website I remember Mom that you had asked me whether it was okay to write the things that I was writing, because you asked me that I was even more determined to write the things I did. That website is my stand against any government that uses fear as a way to keep its people quiet. "All We Want is Change" has become something I am so proud of taking part in. It became even more amazing when I took part in Research Week and got the word out to more people. That was the whole goal of the website to educate people on different social movements and hope that they are also willing to take a stand because change is needed in today's society. The specific writing piece that I think was the best talked about the different facts and statistics that were out there, but not a lot of people knew about. "Inside the Numbers" shows that what happened in Iguala, Mexico was something that was going to inevitably happen due to the circumstances and the only question left was when it would happen. Mexico has been living under an oppressive regime for so long and I think change is in order. I know you guys do not like talking about the subject, but I also know that regardless you guys support what I am doing. 

I think this idea of promoting change is going to continue in my head throughout all my college career. There was a time that I told myself that I wanted to be a criminal prosecutor but now I am a little unsure. Yes, I want to become a lawyer but now I am unsure what kind. Hopefully, some of the programs I have joined will help me along the way. So far most of the programs I have applied to have taken me. Your little girl will start working for the CUNY Service Corps starting fall 2015. She will also be attending the Pre- Law Boot camp in the summer. I have applied to other opportunities as well, but I do not want to tell you until I get word on whether I got in or not. I do not want to jinx it, but regardless of whether I did or not, I know you guys will always have my back.

Much love, 

Your little Magda

P.s. Once again thank you so much for being there for me always. 

Gallery on Multimodality