Introduction: Body Image and Health Risks

The purpose of this study is to understand how the most recent generations handle the growing issue of negative body image. Every day you are bombarded with advertisements whether you are walking down the street, on a bus or train, scrolling online, or even sitting in a restaurant. The idea of body image and the media has recently been a sparked interest to many individuals that has seemed to be pushed aside by manufacturers and the public. Knowing that people are harming their health in many ways due to low self-esteem and negative body image is a main reason that the media and public should start paying attention to studies like the one I will be conducting.

Background: A Deeper Understanding

Body image is how someone sees themselves and their own body. Since social media has grown larger and advertisements have become more provocative, girls as young as five years old are worrying about how they look and trying to watch their weight. How is that right? Shows such as Toddlers in Tiaras showcase babies and toddlers (male and female) covered in makeup, airbrushed tans, and fake teeth competing against one another to be the most “beautiful”. These pageants are engraving in these young children the idea that in order to be beautiful they have to be fake and covered in makeup. Later on these children may develop serious conditions such as eating disorders, which can seriously harm their mental, emotional, and physical health. An article CNN speaks more on this outrageous show (http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/12/opinion/henson-toddlers-tiaras/).

Research Question

How do undergraduate students respond to today’s concept of the ideal body? This question will be the overall focus of my study. With this research question I will be able to learn how the first generation to grow up with the progression of technology have absorbed the messages media have been conveying. Being able to examine what these students perceive to be perfection and how they themselves view their body will be a very eye opening experience.

Methodology

I will be speaking with 18-19 year old undergraduate students in a focus group setting. Two focus groups will be held, one male and one female, with four people in each conversation. These students will be my fellow peers, however, I will not choose any that I have a close personal relationship with. All answers and discussion during the time of the focus group will be kept confidential. I will take notes of the discussion. Before beginning I will ask all participants if they know the meaning of the term “body image”.

Interview questions will include, but are not limited to:

• What is your age and current grade level?
  • About how long do you spend either on social media, the Internet, or watching TV?
  • What is the main part of an advertisement in your opinion? Briefly explain.
  • What is your definition of beauty? Does it differ from your definition of perfection? Briefly explain.
  • If you could flip through this magazine and bookmark any advertisement that appealed to you. Why was it appealing?

Researcher Stance

Growing up as the Internet and media were just expanding, I constantly felt the pressure to appear a certain way. In high school, I always felt that I needed to impress others and dress a certain way like I’m sure many other people have experienced. Even now I still fell the pressure of society to look “perfect” all the time, just not as much as I used to. Since I have personally experienced this lack of self-confidence, I feel very strongly about the topic I have chosen to research.

Conclusion

Once my research is complete I would want to see that my study has further contributed to the many other studies done on body image. I would like my study to add a new spin and outlook on the knowledge already accumulated on this topic. After this class I would want to spread awareness of this topic to others and promote positive body image. I would hope that young people, one day, would be able to overcome the desire to “fit in” and succumb to the unrealistic standards the media has set.