My name is Michelle Sencion and I am currently completing my first year at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. An ePortfolio was something I had never heard of prior to this year. Having my writing out into the world for everyone to see was a daunting thought at first. However, I have now decided that putting my creativity as well as my journey is not such a bad thing after all.

I am a native of Manhattan, all the way up in Inwood. Growing up in my culturally rich neighbourhood, I learned the true meaning of being surrounded by love. In my neighborhood, everyone knows each other and we coexists as dependants. Businesses surround my home and from my edge-like view I can see all the way to the green hills of the Inwood Park.

It is important to realize where we come from. To never forget our roots not only in the country we reside but that of our ancestors. I am usually always looking back at my family history. So far, I can date back to the 1860s. I relish all the pictures I take because it makes me realize that someday I will become someone’s ancestor and they will be able to look back at my life.

“In Love We Trust” is the title of a Jhene Aiko song. She is an R&B singer that I really enjoy listening to. In this song she gives examples of real life problems people face. She explains how these problems drive them to lose their belief in love. However, she states that she believes in love because “love believes in us”.

I strongly believe in love, and not just romantically. The love we can offer to a stranger in need might one day change their life. This inspires me to become someone that can help others. I have witnessed many people lose themselves in greed or addiction, even in my own family. Having someone you deeply love feel so alone is something that no one should endure. So we need to start trusting in love, trusting in those who can help us. That just might make us all better people.