Abstract

This study researches the effects that underfunding has on the educational quality that students in urban areas receive. Underfunding is the one of the leading factors in school closings in the United States. American students from urban areas who attend public school, should not be experiencing a lack of educational resources. By conducting an interview with a professional public school administrator, I was able to have an experienced point of view on the matter. Through this study, it was was found that a change needs to be made in order to save these at-risk schools. Not only does the budget provided to these schools needs to be increased, but parent outreach needs to increase as well.   It also found that community support is crucial.

Underfunding;Public Education;Community;Equality;Urban

Four students sharing one calculator. Teachers buying school supplies with their own money. These examples may seem like descriptions of situations happening in underdeveloped countries, but they are actually closer than one would think. These scenarios are happening all over the United States. How is it possible that things like these are happening in a developed nation? Schools in urban areas are struggling to keep themselves open with a minuscule budget that does not supply for anything. There is also an issue of discrimination that contributes to the lack of funding these schools receive. Community involvement is crucial to the survival of these institutions. In order to serve the students, schools must first be provided with support from it's community.

The Outline

Remix in the Classroom (Literature Review)

In this page, I discuss a various sources that helped me keep my research as factual as possible. These sources inspired me to continue my research because I learned of the realities we are really facing as a community.

Classwork (Methods)

In this page, I reviewed my my real classwork which was to write up my research questions on a chart. I also explained why I believe qualative research is important to my research topic. You can also view all of my research questions here as well.

Into the Mind of an Educator (Findings and Analysis)

In this page, I review the findings from the interview with my research participant. I use some of their quotes to explain three central themes that we discussed. 

Class is Over (Conclusion)

In this page, I explain what I think other reaserchers should explore when writting about this topic. It also discusses what I have found most relevant on the research.

A Proposition

This page reviews my research proposal from start to finish. Through this page, you can view how I intend to conduct my research. 

Before Class Started (Drafting Gallery)

In this page, you will be able to view my rough drafts from the entire process of collecting data for my research. Through this gallery, you may get a better understanding of my process.