At the age of four was the first time I traveled out of the United States and went to Matamoros de la Laguna, Coahuila, Mexico–where my father was born and raised. Since that year until now I have been traveling back and forth from the Unites States to Mexico, but have also had the opportunity to travel throughout Mexico and to other countries such as Ecuador and Cuba through Study Abroad programs.

As a double major in Anthropology and Latin American and Latino/a Studies major, my fascination with the various cultures in Latin American countries is one of the reasons I participate in these study abroad program. Latin American is known as the "backyard of the United States", and I am interested in understanding how Latin American countries are impacted by the US foreign policies but specifically looking on how the Indigenous communities are impacted. Indigenous communities from colonization to current day are a population are marginalized and been and continue to be victims of displacement, torture, and disappearances as a result of foreign policies. This is why I want to focus on finding ways to help these communities resist and fight to maintain their lands that are enriched with generations of passed cultural norms and traditions, and with such history.