Chankaj & Uh May 

Being able to travel to one of the Puebla that guards the talking cross was a wonderful and unique experience. Upon entering one of the five ceremonial centers we were asked to leave all bags and any electronic devices on the bus, as well as to relive our shoes to enter the church. As soon as I entered the church I took notice of the drastic change from heat and humidity to coolness and slight breeze inside the church. Having a mass in the beautiful Maya language, listening to the tradition (after colonization) Maya Pax music, and sipping on some atole was very soothing, relaxing, and liberating. Being blessed and given lots of good vibes I felt very fortunate to have been a part of this study abroad. 

Before traveling to la Zona Maya there was a question that I thought about and it was: how is Maya Catholicism a perfect example of syncretism of religions? And in this church in Chankaj it was present in the ceremony, the language, and especially in the icons of saints and Virgin Mary's on the altars. Catholicism is strongly practiced in Maya culture, but what they are not aware or do not recognize is how there is a presence of other cultures and religions that create theirs.

Traveling to Uh May allowed me to learn and practice Maya, as well as witness the process of Piib that is used to make a traditional dish of Cochinito de Pollo. Piib is the cooking of pig or chicken in a pot underneath the ground. Below is a video of part of this hours-long process. Despite the long wait, the end result tastes amazing! There is lots of flavor and the chicken was cooked well, and the homemade tortillas and juices just make it better. In Uh May we also saw a museum that was inside a woman's home and witnessed a Maya spiritual ceremony that occurred outside in the open air.

Piib. Cochinita de pollo...