Reflecting on my Digital Story

It is one thing to take out a paper and pen and write a personal story or anecdote. It is a whole different experience to write a story, record myself reading it, and incorporate music and images to make a video. A digital story allows for just that! Instead of others simply reading a story about myself or my experiences, those who encounter my digital story get to experience my emotion, and really get a sense of who I am and the importance of this story.

Without a doubt, creating a digital story is challenging and there were certainly moments when I got frustrated. It was difficult to dig up old images of my brothers and I, and it was hard to line up my audio with my images. But I somehow managed to get it right and learned new things along the way. In the end, I have a very personal story to share with the world. And not to mention, a digital footprint!

I even got the opportunity to view some of my peer's digital stories and I was so impressed! Even though I've been in the same class with these people for the past four months, there's still so much about them that I did not know. It was so cool to see what my peers put together, because although we all had the same criteria to work with - write a story, record yourself telling the story, and add images - everyone took so many different approaches. For example, Sinjin's digital story, "Story About Failing at Writing a Story But Kind of Succeeding in the End, I guess" was humorous and ironic because he talked about how he didn't know what to talk about in his digital story. But Jay, Ramon, and Sadia's were strong in pathos and they talked about their family or an individual in their family who has impacted them. Overall, I was so impressed with what my colleague's put together.