Ever thought about the gender wage gap and how it affects men and women in the work nation? This ALSO occurs in the sports world! This page is about the gender wage gap in women and men athletes' wages. 

A personal gender issue for me is a difference women and men athletes’ wages are. This is a huge concern to me and makes me angry because I’ve been playing soccer since I was seven and had to work hard to be able to be recognized as a female athlete. Working hard in a male dominated sport was tough already but as I got older it was easier to find motivation and inspiring from Olympic Athletes or the Women’s National Soccer Team such as Mia Hamm, Julie Johnston and even Serena Williams etc.

Women are paid less in other professions but in sports, they make even less. It worries me when female athletes that are in the same sport as men and either do extremely well and or even better than the males, STILL get less acknowledged and paid less

For example, women are told to do feminine things even when they are athletic.

The president of FIFA for 17 years had talked about women should be in a less aggressive version of the sport and wear tighter shorts. This makes me feel aggravated and annoyed.

Why does my clothing have to show my body in something that I am playing in? 

I play Division III Women’s Soccer for John Jay College and we still have a smaller locker room than the boys and yet we get acknowledged and hyped less than the men.

For another example, “In tennis, Novak Djokovic, the men’s number one, earned twice as much as Serena Williams, the women’s number one, last year – although both won three of the four grand slams, the less prestigious men’s tournaments pay far more than the women’s events”. (Wigmore, 2016) this is just one example of women and men who win and get the same awards and titles in the same sport still get paid less. It’s like the hard work we put in isn’t weighted as heavy is a male does the same thing. Both genders work hard to play at their level so why shouldn’t they be paid equally?

There have been instances where women were banned from being on the board for sports or banned from sports such as football in 1921 (Wigmore, 2016). Less than 25 years ago, women only made up 1/5 of competing athletes in the Olympics (Wigmore, 2016). This is a dominance issue that the world does and does not acknowledge. Nowadays, there is less tension between men and women when practicing together because of the understanding and achievements that women have made for themselves and other female athletes and most men have accepted the importance and dedication girls put in that is equal to to theirs.  

It is important to give back to those that put the same or exceed the effort level to compete and play sports but still don’t get rewarded or paid the same based on gender. It’s upsetting and frustrating and as an athlete, it’s troublesome and very personal.

Wigmore, T. (2016, August 5). Sport's gender pay gap: why are women still paid less than men? Retrieved February 07, 2017, from http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2016/08/sport-s-gender-pay-gap-why-are-women-still-paid-less-men