I'm a 70 year old student at John Jay College of Criminal Justice who now has the ability to complete college and a masters in Security Management.  I was in the NYCPD for 22 years and was a Detective/Crime Prevention Specialist.  

While in the NYCPD, I practiced security management by analyzing crime and designing ways of preventing victimization.  A good example of my work might be the crime of burglary in which a thief unlawfully enters a dwelling (where people sleep). If it's by force, then we recommend better locks or stronger material for the door and frame. If there's no sign of force, the thief could have merely used plastic to pop the lock, because the tenant failed to double  lock the door.  Sometimes a hinge on the outside of the door can be 'unhinged' and the door opened.  In the case of brute force through a thin or weak wall, this attack calls for the wall to be reinforced with solid wood or metal sheeting. Robbery (theft from a person by force or intimidation), however, is far more complex because of the myriad factors that go into the crime: time of day, weather, victim, target, perpetrator and time of year.

I especially specialized in crime prevention programs for women and children, particularly rape and child sexual abuse prevention, and I imparted this information to police officers and fthe public. Since retiring, I'm a Security Consultant and conduct lectures on crime prevention.