As a qualitative researcher,  my work relies on the quality of the answers I receive from my research participants. Jackson, et al (2007) say that "the qualitative research relies on the participants to offer in depth responses to questions about how they have constructed or understood their experience (p.23)". This research allows the participants to express the amount of experience they have gained over the years. 

This study explores the following research question: How do Latino immigrants describe their experience living in the United States. 

My demographic is middle age (30-50 yr old) Latino immigrants, who have been living in the United States for more than 15 years. I chose the following demographic because I believe that they can give me the most information due to their time in the United States. 

I recruited interviewers from a Latino community in  a large urban area in the Northeast. I chose a large urban area in the Northeast because of it’s large population. The time will be on the month of November in the year 2014 because they will have more experiences to tell about their time in the United

States. The recruits are latino immigrants who I will invite to my home for the interview. 

I will be choosing 3 participants for my interview because they will be bale to give me a more clear view on the Latino immigrant experience. 

My interview will be a semi-structured interview because I want my participants to be able to freely express their expe

rience in the United States. 

I will be taking notes during the interview because some participants may feel uncomfortable being recorded. Since the people I will be interviewing speak spanish, I will be conducting my interview in Spanish and taking my notes in spanish. I will later translate my notes in English to make it easier to include in my research paper. 

My interview will be based on the following questions :

• How would you describe your journey to the United States
  • What problems did you face as soon as you arrived to the United States ?
  • Describe the difficulty of adapting to the new lifestyle in the United States? 
  • Have you ever been a victim of racism or discrimination while living in the United States? Explain your experience 
  • How has your life changed from your first year in the U.S up until today? 
  • Would you ever consider returning back to your country? 

Before conducting my interview I decided to conduct a pilot study. The results of my pilot study showed me that I am on the right path to conducting my interviews for my research paper. I think it went very well considering the participant of pilot study did not directly relate to my topic. My participant was able to give an outside opinion on the questions based on his experience with Latino immigrants he/she knew. I believe that I have just the right amount of questions because while conducting my pilot study another question popped in my head. The question my participant believed worked best was “Would you ever consider going back to your native country?”, I agree because it shows whether the interviewee feels comfortable in the country or would rather return home. I believe the none of the questions were flat considering that my pilot study participant was able to answer it even though he was not a Latino immigrant. The order of the questions is perfect because it asks them about their experience coming to the United States, their experience living in the United States the first few years and how they feel now. I believe that each interview will last about 30 minutes because it asks personal questions that I believe will get the interviewee talking. The pilot study has prepared me by figuring out how my questions will be asked and how to communicate with the person I am interviewing.