Brenda Almaraz

I am an Adelante student named Brenda Almaraz and I am eighteen years old. I am a freshman attending John Jay College of Criminal Justice with an intended major of International Criminal Justice. Why? Because growing up with consecutive trips south the border to Mexico, I have witnessed corruption and injustices, all motivating me to want to take action. Family and friends and education are concepts very important and essential in my life. Family and friends are reliable and provide you with comfort and joy and will always be there to witness all my successes and failures. Education is a powerful tool that opens doors to many opportunities and success and it can be used in fighting for justice.

Genesis Castellanos

My name is Genesis Castellanos. I am 17 years old and now attending John Jay College of Criminal Justice. I graduated from High School for Environmental Studies. I graduated with honors and was a member of The National Honor Society. All throughout high school,I worked very hard to be where I am today. I will continue to work and do the best of my abilities and become a future lawyer. 

Ana Cobar

My name is Ana Cobar. I was born 19 years ago in Guatemala, a small country known for its beautiful weather. Before coming to John Jay, I went to the high school of art and design where I was inspired to be an illustrator. I had many opportunities to keep going with that but as time passed, I changed my mind about what to purse. I was accepted to John Jay College a few months ago and decided to come here and major in Economics.  I changed my mind so drastically from becoming an artist to wanting to become an economist. Life usually has so many changes, but hopefully the decision I made will bring good things to my life. Even though my major is economics, I still enjoy painting and drawing so I might just do a minor in art and keep it as a hobby.

Chrishane Fernando

My name is Chrishane James Fernando, and the three words I use as a guideline for life are: Enlighten, Empower and Energize.  I’m a law and society major.  I was born and raised in Sri Lanka which is in South East Asia. I migrated to the U.S in February 2012. Being brought up in Sri Lanka for me meant having a strong love for the culture. Sri Lanka, a country with a history dating thousands of years back and an unique culture, is where I first learned many of my life lessons and where I took my first steps to living a positive life. I'm very passionate about the goals I've set for myself. This is why I like being an optomist.

Jennifer Garcia

I am Mexican. I am planning to major in Computer Forensics and minor in Forensic Psychology. I am a freshman at John Jay.  I enjoy playing volleyball with my family. I am very relaxed, but I can be very argumentative.  I love the winter. I am the second oldest child in my family. My sister was the first. She attended Hunter College but had to leave because she was diagnosed with Leukemia in January of 2013. She is going to major as a laboratory technician. Her oncologist recently told my family that her Leukemia came back. Now she needs a Bone Marrow transplant. I look up to her because she has shown me another way to look at life. She taught me to stay strong even if life is against our favor. I also have a younger brother. He is the source of energy for my family. He always has a smile on his face and is very understanding. He knows what we are going through even though he is too young to fully grasp the situation. In my spare time I like to read, talk to my sister, and cook.  My favorite author is James Patterson because of the way he writes multiple stories within one story. My favorite series written by him is the Alex Cross series. I hope I can go bungee jumping and skydiving within the next nine years.

Magdalena Oropeza

My name is Magdalena Oropeza. I am eighteen years old and I am part of the Adelante Program. In the span of four months, I have gone from being a senior at Brooklyn Technical High School to a freshman in John Jay College of Criminal Justice majoring in Criminology. When I first started out, I had a hard time choosing my major; although I did know I wanted to be a Criminal Prosecutor, I did not know what major would help me the best. Flash forward to two months later and I have made the choice of double majoring in Criminology and Latin America and Latina/o Justice. I have a hopeful outlook on my future and cannot wait to experience it.

Marelin Pena

My name is Marelin Pena and I'm currently attending my first year at John Jay College. I come from the Dominican Republic and I'm very proud of It. I'm not afraid to experience new things. Experiencing new things is a way to find who you truly are and know what you like and what you don't like. My life has not been easy but I am proud of myself to have overcome the challenges that I have faced and not let myself take a bad road; instead my experience has made me stronger and it has helped me to better myself and want better things. Overcoming challenges is the way to reach your goals and I feel ready to face what the future holds for me!

Olivia Ramirez

I was born and raised in New Rochelle which is located in Westchester. I am Mexican-American and I was brought up in a single parent household. I’m an only child but I was raised as the youngest of four. I am currently a freshman at John Jay College and am a Political Science major. I have set my mind to make it to Law School. In my spare time I like to play sports such as lacrosee and soccer. I also tutor incoming high school freshmen. I believe from experience that your first few years of high school can affect you greatly. I also volunterr at John Jay in several activities whenever I can. 

Michelle Sencion

My name is Michelle Sencion and I am currently completing my first year at John Jay College of Criminal Justice with a major in Criminal Justice. I am a native of Manhattan, all the way up in Inwood. My neighborhood instilled the idea of community and always being willing to help others. I aspire to become someone who will dedicate her life to help others. By graduating from this institution, I will take steps towards that.