My name is Paige Schmelz and I am currently finishing up my undergrad degree in culture and deviance studies with a minor in police studies. I consider myself a feminist because I believe in the social political and economic equality of the sexes. I am passionate about learning about different cultures and their belief systems. Rape culture is also something that inspires me to speak out about violence against women. Strong women such as Emma Watson, Sophia Bush, and Demi Lovato are my role models. In my free time I like to have dance parties by myself and read nonfiction crime books.  Upon graduation from John Jay College I would like to make a difference in this world. The difference may not be huge but I would like to impact lives for the better. Advocating for social justices and being a trusted police officer will be my starting points.

Many people are unaware of a term and actions that effect our everyday lives. We know that people are suffering out there but are not always sure why. Structural Violence. It does not just affect me, but it affects you, your family, and your friends. Structural violence is defined as, systematic ways in which social structures harm or otherwise disadvantage individuals. Social violence is reinforced by specific laws or rules that are put in place by different structures in society. It is often not very obvious that these rules are reinforcing such problems to society, but they are there and are effecting many people. It is sometimes set out to target specific people.

A very dramatic but easy to follow example of structural violence is the Nazis in Germany.  “Jewish citizens were stripped of their possessions, their homes, their food, the access to markets, their ability to sell their goods, and more. In this case, the government that was supposed to protect them was actually preventing them from living and getting access to what they needed” (nobullying.com, 2015). The Nazi's were destroying the Jewish culture, but were justifying each and every way that they were doing it. This is structured violence and this is wrong. 

This can also be linked to gender based violence.    

There are many ways in which gender violence can be structured in our society specifically. All too often women are dying because of domestic violence. But what is being done? We see movies, television shows, the media, and music indsutry reinforcing these behaviors. I personally do not find this kind of behavior to be 

What is Structural Violence? (2015, December 22). Retrieved May 15, 2017, from https://nobullying.com/structural-violence/