About the Author

My name is Paige Schmelz and I am currently finishing up my undergrad degree in culture and deviance studies with a minor in police studies. I consider myself a feminist because I believe in the social political and economic equality of the sexes. I am passionate about learning about different cultures and their belief systems. Rape culture is also something that inspires me to speak out about violence against women. Strong women such as Emma Watson, Sophia Bush, and Demi Lovato are my role models. In my free time I like to have dance parties by myself and read nonfiction crime books. I am the youngest of three sisters, but I am currently the only one still living at home with my parents. Although I only have two siblings, I come from a huge family with cousins that feel like brothers and sisters. We raise money for Pancreatic Cnacer Research in honor of my Uncle. We also do the Polar Plunge (for ALS) in February in honor of a close family friend. I was born and raised in Bergenfield, A small town located in Bergen County, New Jersey. For those who don't know where it is it is located only a few miles over the George Washington Bridge. 

Althought I have grown up and lived in the same place for 22 years I would love to visit Tennessee and maybe move there one day. After graduation I am aspiring to be a police officer hopefully in Bergen County. Although my dream job would be a detective or FBI agent. When I am not working at my part-time job in a gymnastic school teaching students I am a volunteer EMT. I've been an EMT for over year now and I volunteer over 72 hours a month. Being an EMT I have learned a lot about myself, my town and different people. It has taught me to appreciate my health and remember 

that every day is not guaranteed and I should hug the ones that I love because you never know what anyone is struggling with. In addition to working and volunteering, I am also an athlete. I grew up playing softball, basketball, soccer, and dancing. In high school I was a four year varsity Softball player. I did not continue to play for John Jay but I do play on a team in the Summer.  Upon graduation from John Jay College I would like to make a difference in this world. The difference may not be huge but I would like to impact lives for the better. Advocating for social justices and being a trusted police officer will be my starting points. As Emma Watson once said, 

"If not me, who? If not now, when?".

About My Design

Although the header for my design page is self explanatory-the definition of feminism- it means more than just that to me. It is a reminder to anyone visiting my page that feminism is NOT about hating men. It is not about thinking women are better than men or that we should be put on a pedastal. In fact it is a reminder that it is the complete opposite. It reminds those that we are all equal, not in just one way but in all ways, and that is how we wish to be percieved. The header is important for all visitors on my page to understand prior to reading my writing. My background image I originally got from Demi Lovato's tattoo on her arm. It is birds flying but it means so much more than just that to me. It indicates freedom. Freedom of speach, freedom to be who you want to be, freedom to go any direction you want in life, freedom to write, and most importantly freedom to express yourself. The colors for my website are quite simplistic, white, gray, and black. I am trying to get the picture across that just beause I am a girl does not mean my favorite color is pink. Nor does it mean that everything I do has to be super 'girly'. I enjoy the way the colors works together especially with my background and header. Another reason I chose these colors is because they are not very vibrant and distracting. I want the readers to be able to focus on my writing and not be distracted by neon or flashing colors when visting my page. I want my readers to be more focused on what I have to say and less about what I look like, or what my website looks like-but still have my website look nice and profesional. Ultimately my website indicates the importance of feminism and being whoever you want to be and having the freedom to express that. i hope my readers can understand that and feel inspired.